Estimated reading time: 11 minutes
Do you like attending a conference? Why not? They’re fantastic events for employees and employers to explore. It is one of the best ways to notch up your corporate networking and learning. It is also an opportunity for organizations to strengthen their strategies and be at par with the rest of the peer group. But most of us fail to make the most of it.
So today, once you have read this article, I am sure you will make the most of the next symposium or conference you attend. Managers must use these tips to prepare their teams to strengthen their strategies. Do follow all the 8 steps religiously, and you will be fine!
👇 Don’t forget to download your starter kit – Scroll down. 👇
Table of contents
- Symposium, Conference, Summit – What are they?
- Why should you attend Conferences or Symposiums?
- How to choose which conference to attend?
- 8 Golden Rules for Conference Success
- Mandatory things you must do at a conference.
- How can managers prepare their team for a successful conference?
- Debriefing Sessions
- Up-skill before your next conference.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Share this article
Symposium, Conference, Summit – What are they?
Attending a conference can be an incredibly beneficial experience for business owners, employees, and students. It can be academic conferences or corporate summits. These events provide a chance to learn new techniques and improve business skills. But what is the difference between a symposium, conference, and summit?
A symposium, conference, or summit is where experts from different fields come together to share their knowledge and experience. They can be either formal or informal gatherings, and they can take place online or in person.
A symposium typically consists of presentations by various experts on a particular topic. These presentations also have question-and-answer sessions that allow the audience to interact with the speakers.
A conference is similar to a symposium, but it’s geared more towards facilitating networking and cooperation between participants. It’s also often more interactive than a symposium, as participants are encouraged to get up and speak whenever they have something important to say.
Summits are the biggest type of conference and generally encompass all the other conferences into one big event. They’re for corporate executives, managers, and other decision-makers who want to learn about new trends and developments in their field. Summits usually have more lengthy presentations than other conferences. They also act as interactive forums allowing participants to share their ideas freely.
Why should you attend Conferences or Symposiums?
There’s no doubt that attending conferences and symposiums is a great way to learn from the best in the business. Not to mention, you can gain a plethora of new skills, meet new people, and network with potential clients or partners. Most conferences offer great speaker panels and opportunities to get involved in the event programming stages of your selected conference topic area.
And if that’s not enough, the conference connections are also crucial for your organization. By attending and participating in conference inputs, you can change the course of your company’s strategy. So, be attentive and give 100% – you won’t regret it!
A few years later, you may become one of the panelists in one of these summits.
How to choose which conference to attend?
- Conferences can be a great way to learn new things, network with others in your industry, and expand your knowledge. However, choosing the right conference is key. There is a variety of them to choose from, so it’s important to research which one is right for you. Once you’ve narrowed it down, consider what you want to gain from the conference – knowledge, skills, or contacts.
- Next, make sure the dates and locations are agreeable to your schedule. Finally, find a conference that aligns with your career path and interests. With research and preparation, attending a conference can be a great way to boost your career and learn something new!
- Stay active on Google and Twitter. And connect with NASSCOM, GARTNER, Nvidia GTC, and SSONetwork upfront, and get email updates on upcoming summits and presenters.
8 Golden Rules for Conference Success
Attending a conference can be an exciting experience, but it can also be quite exhausting if it is your first time. To make the most of it, follow these 8 golden rules:
- Register as soon as possible. Make use of the early bird tickets for lower prices.
- Align your expectations with your manager on the outcomes and takeaways from the conference.
- Delegate your tasks at work so you can give 100% of your time at the summit.
- Bring your laptop with you to address any critical issues at work after the conference.
- Arrive early to get registered and access essential areas of the venue.
- Make a list of questions that you wish to get answers to during the conference.
- Carry your business card (printed or digital) for networking.
- Equip yourself with a classic notebook and pen and make notes – you’ll look cool.
Mandatory things you must do at a conference.
The panels usually overlap to accommodate all the topics and speakers. Each session has a pre-defined time limit for sharing ideas and q&a. Sit with your team and plan who will attend which meeting. Meet the collaborators and co-authors during the conference to gain an in-depth understanding of the field of study which interests you. To make the most of it, follow these tips:
- Get familiar with the meeting room before attending. Know the exits.
- Bring a charger for your electronic devices and an extra battery pack if needed.
- Always arrive 5 mins early to the scheduled sessions. It will allow you to get registered, find your way around, and make some connections.
- Make ample notes from every session.
- Have a chat group in place to stay connected with your team members. Disable all other distractions.
- Carry water as you may hop from one room to another, and you’ll get tired.
- Keep your electronic devices on silent mode when in a conference.
- Use technology in moderation. It includes using your phone, laptop, or tablet during sessions, breaks, or at the event itself.
- Make sure to dress appropriately. (Preferably Business Formals)
How can managers prepare their team for a successful conference?
Managers can help their team prepare for a conference by providing relevant information. That includes the purpose, what to expect, and how to best take advantage of it.
It’s also vital to ensure that everyone on the team knows the goals and objectives. It helps them stay focused and motivated while they’re away from work.
Finally, as a manager, you must create a positive environment where team members feel comfortable sharing their thoughts and ideas. It will help them to be more productive when they’re at the conference and better able to absorb new information.
👇 Access the new-age trainings. 👇
Once you have attended the conference, make it mandatory to share your learnings and conference takeaways with the rest of the team and leadership. Conduct a quick 30 mins session with your managers and leadership immediately after the conference has concluded. Follow the below steps to make it effective.
- Convert your notes to a presentation or a pdf with outcomes for each session or each day.
- Share any handouts that you might have picked up from the conference.
- Publish answers to the questions you had prepared.
- Propose how your organization can use these learnings to strengthen the strategy.
- Share a list of prospective clients you might have learned about during your networking.
- Define “next steps” or “action plan” for the leadership to consider.
Up-skill before your next conference.
Here is some training that you can explore to up-skill and be ready for your next conference.
CRM Salesforce for Beginners – Become an expert in CRM Salesforce by mastering concepts of CRM, its business implications and how Cloud computing is changing the way businesses use technology to engage with their customers.
Design Patterns Certification – Understand Design Patterns, to enhance your skills, aiming to be an efficient Software Architect and develop some highly scalable and maintainable applications.
Become an expert in Analytics for Retail Banks – Master the concepts of analytics lifecycle, data infrastructure, customer lifecycle, and digital trends while going through global retail banking case studies.
Mastering Git and GitHub – Master the concepts like Branches, Design and Git work flow by using Git Command Line, GitHub Desktop and SourceTree.
Certified Blockchain & Healthcare Professional – Master the art of building robust healthcare-based blockchain systems.
Become a Certified Blockchain Architect – Craft the guidelines and structure of the whole blockchain system.
Certified Blockchain & Law Professional – Gain an in-depth understanding of the Blockchain in legal processes.
Blockchain & Supply Chain Professional – Master the core concepts of implementing Blockchain in Supply Chain industry to solve large-scale problems.
Certified Blockchain & Finance Professional – Gain an in-depth understanding of the Blockchain technology in Finance.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you are feeling unwell during your conference trip, the best thing to do is to rest and drink lots of fluids. And, if you need medications, consult the conference organizer and keep your team informed of your health. If it’s more serious – you should seek medical attention in your destination country or go for an emergency evacuation.
Keeping up with presentations during a conference can be a bit difficult, but there are many ways that you can do this. Here are some tips:
1 – Attend as many sessions and workshops as possible so that you have a better understanding of the topics discussed.
2 – Connect with fellow attendees online using social media or other networking platforms.
3 – Take notes during presentations and use them to improve your own learning experience in the future.
4 – Utilize conference materials like Handouts of Google slides, PowerPoints, keynote, white papers, and articles to help you brush up on your knowledge.
Conferences and symposiums can be an incredible learning experience, not to mention that it is a fantastic opportunity to meet new people and network. However, make sure you are prepared by following our 8 Golden Rules for Conference Success. These simple steps will ensure a positive conference experience for everyone involved. Finally, don’t forget to ask your manager how they can help you prepare for the event!
Disclaimer: The post may contain affiliate links.